Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Windows has changed to download and install updates automatically?


I religiously have Windows Update set to:



Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them



However, this morning after having booted the machine, I have a notification that updates will be installed "as scheduled" (at 3am)?! And checking my Windows Updates settings, it now states:



Install updates automatically (recommended)



How? Why has Windows changed this setting seemingly behind my back?!


The only thing I did last night that I think could have triggered this (although I don't think it should have) is that I installed "Windows Movie Maker" (part of the free Windows Live Essentials). Could this have changed my Windows Update settings?!


Answer



I know it's been over a month but -- after reproducing the issue on 2 different machines -- I can confirm that installing Windows Live Essentials on Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.1 (both 64 bit) will change your Windows Update settings back to "Install updates automatically" regardless of what they were previously.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...