Thursday, January 26, 2017

Creating a Windows Virtual PC image from a Physical machine


On Windows 7 (Home Premium), using Windows Virtual PC, how can you create an image of a physical machine running Windows XP?


I've found the "Virtual Server 2005 Migration Toolkit", but this is of course for Virtual Server 2005, not Windows Virtual PC. I've also found this link, but it is targeted to "Microsoft Virtual PC" (i.e. the previous version of Virtual PC).


Note: I am not interesting in using an alternative virtualization software (such as VirtualBox, VMWare, etc).


Answer



Have a look at the Sysinternals utility Disk2vhd. Should do what you're after if I understand the question.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...