Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Windows 10 Insider version updates not installing


I have been running Windows 10 since the initial preview version with minimal problems. However, the last two Insider builds (10565 and the previous version) will not install. The build shows up in my Windows Update list, but neither "Restart Now" nor scheduled install works properly.


When I check for updates, I get a "Windows update encountered a problem" error with a retry option. When I retry, the latest Windows Defender update is installed and then the new build displays as available. It just won't install.


When I try "Restart Now", the machine reboots normally (it doesn't try to install an update), but a dialog box is shown very briefly just as the desktop appears. I can't make out what the message says, and all three event logs look normal. Any ideas?


Answer



Download the ISO of the Windows 10 Insider Build 10565, mount the ISO and and run setup.exe. Now select Upgrade to upgrade the normal Windows 10 to the latest Preview. Verify in the settings app -> Update that the Insider settings are correctly set and when a new Build gets released check if you now see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...