Thursday, January 19, 2017

macos - Western Digital external drive set to read only?



I have a Western Digital Passport drive which I bought for using with my Windows Vista machine - however I now use it with OS X, but for some reason I cannot delete files off the drive. When I GetInfo for the drive it says READ ONLY.




How do I get around this?



Only a few days ago I could copy files to it but now it says it's read only.


Answer



The drive is probably formatted as NTFS - OS X by default will only read NTFS, and not write to it. You can use a 3rd party utility to add NTFS write support to your OSX system, however. See the answers here for solutions that allow you to do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...