Thursday, January 19, 2017

Is my laptop's battery dangerous?


I've been using a battery in my laptop for 3 years and I've kept it in fairly good condition until now. My routine was to keep it plugged in most of the time but use it on battery once or twice a week to keep it 'exercised'.


Back in February the battery started charging only to 60%, then one day it stopped charging at all. Now I can have it plugged in for many hours and it wont budge past 2%, then that 2% charge is usually gone back to 0% by the following day. No matter what percentage it's at the computer will power off almost immediately if the charger is removed.


My question is, is this battery safe to keep in the laptop any more or should I replace it ASAP. I watched some (albeit manually induced) laptop battery fire videos on YouTube, in which one said not to use overcharged or overdischarged batteries, so preferably I would like to avoid that ever happening!


Thanks


Answer



You should not use the battery anymore. You can safely unplug the battery and use the laptop that way though.


The problem is that if you charge a battery that is not accepting any input anymore, it will eventually burn out. There are protections in the battery, but it still remains to be electronics. Better safe than sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...