Wednesday, January 18, 2017

security - How do I secure erase SSD C: system drive?

I want to securely erase my C: drive, a Toshiba XG5 NVMe 512GB SSD, without wearing it with deletes. I know SSDs can be zeroed directly by resetting the NAND cells, and manufacturers like Samsung have applications to do that. So ideally that is what I want to do, but I can't find one for Toshiba SSDs.


Alternatatively I could rely on TRIM plus overwriting the entries of deleted files in the NTFS MFT. That could serve as a kind of secure delete, and I wouldn't have to reinstall Windows.


Maybe I could try this. (1) Make a Windows RE rescue USB. (2) Install the secure erase software on it (if that is even possible) (3) run it from the USB


Or maybe this. (1) Make a Linux boot USB to boot into Linux on the USB. (2) Use hdparm to do an ATA secure erase.


I haven't done anything like this before. Can anyone advise me?


Is there a utility that will overwrite the entries of deleted files in the NTFS MFT, without also writing all over the disk in a free space wipe as though it was an HDD? And sanitize the NTFS logs & journals too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...