Tuesday, January 31, 2017

windows 8.1 - How can I keep files from being opened in System?

I have a program (an old version of Delphi) that needs to create a temporary file whenever it is opened. Problem is, it can create that file, but it cannot overwrite it, so whenever I try to open it I have to move the file somewhere else first.


The file is created in the temp folder (userfolder\AppData\Local\Temp). I can move it anywhere, I can rename it, but I can't delete it.


So I have created a separate folder where I can move the temp file. I get one copy everytime I want to open the program, so I have been renaming these copies. But there are just too many of them now and I'd like to get rid of them.


When I try to delete one, I get a message that goes:



The action can’t be completed because the file is open in System



The funny thing is that even if I reboot the system, when I go to the separate folder I've created to contain those files and try to delete one, I still get that message.


I have tried:



  • Assigning myself ownership of the files (they originally belong to System);

  • Assigning permissions to other user accounts, including "Everyone", and making sure that all of them have permission to delete the files;

  • Removing all file attributes;

  • Rebooting, as mentioned above. I even did it multiple times;

  • Changing not only file names but also extensions;

  • Unlocker (a program that promises to solve this kind of problem, but it didn't work for me);

  • Going through the command prompt. It just says access denied.


What else can I try? How can I keep the System process from opening these files so that I can get rid of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...