Monday, January 16, 2017

windows 7 - svchost causing problems



Lately I've had one particular svchost.exe instance that's often spiking up and taking 12-40% of my CPU. The services it's hosting are:




  • FDResPub (Function Discovery Resource Publication)

  • FontCache (Windows Font Cache Service)

  • SSDPSRV (SSDP Discovery)

  • upnphost (UPnP Device Host)




This was causing major problems on my computer (which had been running for 25 days without restart), so I figured a reboot would fix it. Guessed wrong, it's taking 25% of CPU from the moment I logged in.



Can anyone provide any insight as to what might be causing this particular svchost to be so CPU-consuming? It's becoming a major hindrance since it's preventing me from running any other CPU-intensive process (namely games but other programs too)



If you need any more information from me, don't hesitate to ask :)
(Running Windows 7 Home Premium x86)



EDIT: Stopping FDResPub seems to have fixed the problem. I looked it up and it seems unlikely that I actually will ever want it running... Anyway, this makes sense since I'm on a huge network here and about 99% of the computers use Windows 7 and probably have homegroup features... I'm rambling here :D But if anyone has anything to add to this, please do so :)


Answer




I had the same exact problem with the same four services except that it would happen sometimes for hour and then go away for hours. It went away when I disconnected from HomeGroup and I am about certain that it was my Xbox being on or off that caused the problem to occur intermittently.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...