Friday, January 13, 2017

windows 8 - Computer either shuts down or monitor turns off

I have Windows 8 and I've been suffering from "kernel-power 41"
I tried changing the power supply but the problem persisted.
I noticed that the heat sink was unbearably hot so i removed it and removed the dust from it and installed core temp to monitor temperatures.
then the stopped shutting down suddenly but the monitor would turn off and the computer would become unresponsive.




I tested the memory and after waiting an hour and one pass occurred, there were no errors.
I also did a gpu stress test as i suspected the gpu was overheating but after an hour and a half of testing the computer didn't turn off and there was no fan on the vga card to change. i only noticed that the temp of the vga reached 83c.



I was concerned that the cpu at idle was running at 63c so went and bought a new heat sink and after properly installing it i noticed that the temp fell to the 40's c.
I did a stress test and temps reached 90's but the cpu didn't shutdown. after 10 passes the cpu became idle and the temp fell to the 50's and i was just browsing a site when the monitor turned off and the comp became unresponsive. after rebooting there was it again a kernel-power 41 error code.



so as last resort, I changed the battery in the computer and now I'm running a hard stress test temp is currently at 112c but the cpu is still running. are there any ideas why this is occurring?



I'm going to go with Ubuntu's suggestion and rule out that it is a Windows 8 issue. Next I could turn it to the repair men to see if it's a motherboard issue. With all 3 sticks of memory being new you would still assume it's RAM? Maybe after ruling out Windows 8, I would try running testmem86+ a bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...