Friday, January 27, 2017

Install Windows 10 in Legacy Boot mode


I am trying to install Windows 10 in legacy mode on a drive that uses MBR. I have a Windows 10 installation ISO file from which I created a bootable USB drive. However, USB drive only boots in UEFI mode, and not in legacy mode (I alternated between the two options in the BIOS menu). When the Windows installation process is started in UEFI mode, it cannot install Windows to a MBR drive. Hence I need to create a bootable USB drive that can start in legacy mode. Is this a limitation of the ISO file that I am using? I have tried many different utilities (Rufus, UNetbootin, etc..) to create the bootable USB.


If this is the case, where can I obtain a Windows 10 installation ISO (I have a license key) that can be used to create a legacy bootable USB drive?


Answer



After digging deeper into my BIOS settings menu, I found there is an option to enable support for booting from USB in UEFI mode. For some reason, enabling this option suddenly made it possible to boot from USB in Legacy mode as well.


Hence the issue was not with the .iso file nor with the USB booting utilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...