Tuesday, January 17, 2017

hard drive - Partition issues, Windows 10 not booting



Windows 10 and resizing partitions apparently don't mix.
I needed to migrate a partition to a smaller SSD, as outlined in this post, so in an attempt to move my massive documents folder to a place where it will remain on the HDD, I tried to shrink my main partition, as it had 120 GB of free space. In the process, I defragged my HDD partition... more than is healthy.



Anyways, because Windows still wouldn't resize the partition, I tried resizing it with AOMEI partition assistant. I checked the disk twice- the program apparently used chkdsk to do so- and rebooted to apply fixes each time. After that, attempting to run the check would give me a frowny face of death (Stop code: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED, no underscores). I made the mistake of using that software to resize the disk. It ran in PreOS mode, and now my laptop won't boot. I see the Lenovo logo (it's a Lenovo laptop), then it goes away- and normally would be replaced by a Windows logo, iirc. I can access the ease of access center via keyboard shortcuts, but that doesn't have a link to the control panel as Win7 did. Ctrl+Alt+Del won't work- the shortcuts that do respond are limited to ease of access utilities and Win+P, which is useless.




I re-expanded the disk to the original size (plus 460KB or so) and ran chkdsk C: /f multiple times, as per recommendation of GParted. GParted says the NTFS is inconsistent, but everything else seems to point to it being functional- aside from it not being functional. I've also run whatever Boot/System Recovery thing is in the Advanced Repair Options, which immediately gives me an error saying it couldn't do anything.



So... can I fix this, or should I put it in my external enclosure and find some place to put my data? Also, if the booting is screwed, could I save my installed programs by copying some folders, perhaps Program Files/(x86) and .appdata?



If anyone knows how to correctly get Windows to resize a partition, that would also be useful for the future. Yes, I disabled hibernation/pagefile/other stuff, and consolidated free space with Defraggler.



I don't have a computer to set up USB tools with (I'm typing this from a Chromebook) but I do have a Ubuntu Live USB and a USB with Windows recovery tools (and a Win10 installer).



List vol output:




Volume 0 C Windows    NTFS  Partition 363 GB Healthy
Volume 1 D LENOVO NTFS Partition 24 GB Healthy
Volume 2 SYSTEM_DRV FAT32 Partition 240 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 3 E WINRE_DRV NTFS Partition 999 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 4 F Storage NTFS Partition 19 GB Healthy Hidden


If anyone knows how to make a properly spaced list, please tell me or suggest an edit!


Answer



I used Ubuntu to rename LogonUI.exe to LogonUI.exe.bak, then I inserted a copy of LogonUI.exe from a working installation.
I figured this out because I got a few errors for LogonUI.exe when I wasn't specifically messing with that process.




I'm looking at the old desktop as I type this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...