Friday, January 27, 2017

Max Usable Memory - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit


Specs beforehand (Upgraded HP m8530f): AMD Phenom X4 9550 @ 2.20 GHz / HIS 256MB Radeon HD4350 GDDR2 PCI-E / 6.0 GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM / 750GB SATA Seagate Barracuda HDD / ASUS M2N78-LA / CoolerMaster 500W PSU


So, this computer comes stock with 5.0 GB of RAM. So in the four slots, there is a 1 GB - 1 GB - 2 GB - 1 GB configuration. Today, though, I got another 2GB stick, so now I have a configuration of 1 GB - 1 GB - 2 GB - 2 GB. However, after I booted up... I went to Computer Properties and it says that I only have 5.0 GB Usable memory. However, I checked online and for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, the max supported memory should be much much more.


Any ideas? Are there questions like this already? (oops)


EDIT1: for Sim...


enter image description here


Answer



Have you upgraded the BIOS? There is a BIOS update for your model (HP m8530f) on the HP website that might do the trick M2N78-LA Motherboard BIOS update improves security support, and fixes incorrect memory size being reported in Vista when 4GB or more is installed.


There is a good page on the HP Site that walks you through upgrading to Windows 7 and covers know issues and solutions etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...