Monday, January 30, 2017

windows 7 - Acer Aspire One D270 fan continuously running


I recently purchased a new Acer D270 netbook and observed that its fan is continuously running. Although fan was not making any audible noise at all i thought of using Acer Aspire One Temperature Monitor and Fan Control software even though it mentioned to use the software at your own risk I installed it on my netbook.


Now as soon as I ran it my fan speed increased 2 to 3 times the original speed. So, I uninstalled it and restarted my netbook. Now I am observing that even after uninstalling it my fan is running at a faster speed(may be 1.5 times) than when I had not installed it.


So, my question is why am I observing this behavior in fan speed and what can be done to reverse the effect of the software.


Answer



Almost all computers are going to need at least one fan running all the time to avoid overheating so I would avoid using unproven applications like that one which could cause all sorts of problems.



  • First, make sure you have a backup of anything important.


  • I would suggest you try reinstalling the chipset driver from http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx in case that program has modified anything.


  • It may be worth accessing the BIOS to see if there are any options there for controlling fan speed. When you start up the netbook, it should tell you on screen which key you need to press to access the BIOS.


  • If the fan is still not functioning normally you might want to try SpeedFan to see if you can set the fan speed to normal levels.


  • Lastly, if SpeedFan is unable to set fan speeds you could try updating the BIOS from the Acer support page in case the ACPI functionality has been improved. This should be a last resort as it could potentially mess up the computer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...