Tuesday, January 24, 2017

linux - Asus netbook (Windows 10) *will not* boot from USB drive

I am trying to install Linux on my Asus X205T netbook from a USB drive. Recently I used the same drive to install Ubuntu on a relative's laptop.


I formatted the USB drive on my Macbook Pro using Disk Utility (FAT) and then used Unetbootin to set up the drive with a CentOS 7 .iso that I got directly from the CentOS download page.


For some reason I cannot get this Netbook to boot from the USB. When I do advanced restart settings and choose to boot from the USB drive (UEFI) the thing just boots back up into Windows. I even tried restarting to the BIOS and changing the boot order there to have the USB drive as #1.


I also tried wiping the USB drive again and using Unetbootin to set up the USB with Ubuntu (just like I did for my relative) and tried the same steps above to boot the Netbook with Ubuntu instead of CentOS - still no luck.


I also tried something I found in another answer here, which is that Asus Netbooks allow you to press ESC during boot and choose what device to boot from. I did that and - once again - it saw that the USB drive was available but when I choose to boot from it I still was taken to Windows.


Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong, and why this Netbook can recognize the USB drive but won't boot from it???

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...