Saturday, January 14, 2017

Memory usage doesn't add up in Windows 10

Every few days of uptime the memory usage of my PC increases without any obvious reason. Here is a typical memory usage reading after 4 days of uptime:


74% memory usage


However, I've tried to trace the offending application causing any potential memory leaks. Task Manager lists the highest app usage from Google Chrome (with only ~200MB usage):


Task manager processes


Closing other apps still leaves 62% mysteriously in use:


62% memory usage after closing apps


Meanwhile, poolmon.exe shows CM16 and Proc tags are listed using high amounts of memory in the Paged and Nonpaged pools, respectively:


poolmon usage display


Strangely, restarting the PC clears up memory usage, but shutting down and starting up doesn't. I assume this is due to the "fast startup" feature, but I'm not sure why it would affect memory usage.


If it matters, I am also using CleanMem as I assumed it would help alleviate any memory leak problems.


Given these, how could I pinpoint what is causing high memory usage in my system?


UPDATE: I tried to run xperf to view stack traces on the pool tags, as suggested in a comment, but I am not sure what to make of what I have found:


xperf/WPA screenshot of CM31 and Proc tags


UPDATE: Here is the ETL file of the above screenshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...