Saturday, January 21, 2017

linux - Ubuntu on Apple hardware (early 2011 MacBook Pro)

This isn't so much a "how do I install Linux on Apple hardware" question, but rather a "could this do any sort of damage" one.


I've heard a few people speak of "burning out" the Apple hardware by installing a non-Apple operating system on the computer. In specific, I've heard it has to do with OS X and the way it manages CPU voltages via the SMC, and how a non-Apple OS does not interact with the SMC in a similar way, which in turn puts the CPU under too much load for too long a time, and burns it out.


I've done some research online, and haven't heard any mention of this being possible, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience in killing a Mac by installing Linux (specifically Ubuntu, or Fedora).


tl;dr – can installing Linux bare-metal on my MacBook Pro (early 2011, i7 13") have any ill effects on my hardware?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...