Monday, January 30, 2017

backup - Can the drives in a RAID 1 array be rotated?

As a follow-up to my question https://superuser.com/questions/247070/disaster-recovery-backup-of-files-photos-for-personal-use, it sounds like for personal disaster-safe backup, multiple rotated hard drives is the way to go.



One of the answers suggested a NAS RAID setup, so after some searching I found a very affordable product that looks really cool, the D-Link 2-bay network storage enclosure.




However, this NAS has some pretty cool features that I would love to use and not just lock away in a box, such as becoming my streaming location for Xbox, etc. It is a 2-bay enclosure, so what I am thinking is that I can buy 3 drives, and keep two of them in the NAS, and one in the fire-proof safe. I would rotate them weekly.



Is this possible with a RAID-1 array? Would it have to wipe the whole drive to rebuild it every time? Does the rebuilding happen automatically? And last question, if it does have to rebuild the whole partition on the drive every time, would this excessive writing reduce drive life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...