Monday, November 12, 2018

windows xp - Unable to make USB drive letter stick


I am attempting to connect a Lacie USB external hard drive to a laptop with Windows XP SP3. It appears fine in Disk Management with an Active and Healthy partition but it does not have a drive letter.


If I assign a drive letter I can view the files by opening the partition from Disk Management. I can also access the drive from the Command Prompt. However, the partition does not appear in the Explorer, unless I log out and back in. Unfortunately, if I restart the computer the partition comes back without a drive letter again.


I've tried removing all the USB devices in the Device Manager and then reinstalling but the problem remains. I've also tried connecting to a different USB port. I have not yet tried attaching the drive to another computer.


What else should I try?


Answer



You may get some help in these USB Drive Troubleshooting notes.
The site has a lot of other USB Drive related notes and tools:
USB Drive Letter Manager is one of them.


You can also mount an external USB Drive as a 'Folder' on your windows system
(rather than allocate it a drive letter) -- some quick notes on that.


Some more notes also at HowToGeek: Find Your Missing USB Drive on Windows XP


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...