Monday, November 12, 2018

windows - Deleting directories with many hard links

I'm trying to clean up a directory that contains a lot of data (more that 1 TB), with many of the files hard linked to save space. For some context, this is the drive where we keep our builds, and we have a lot media (several GBs) of media in each build, so we hard link a file if it is identical to a previous build product. I've noticed that trying to delete these directories is extraordinarily slow (~5 items per second).


My guess is that the delete is taking so long because of the large number of hard links to each file. Is there anything I can do to speed up this process, or am I stuck deleting several million items at 5/sec?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...