Saturday, November 17, 2018

service pack - Why wouldn't Windows 7 have a "Repair your Computer" mode on F8?

I'm trying to follow the instructions here.




  1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
    You have to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows
    logo appears, you have to try again by waiting until the Windows logon
    prompt appears and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
    Note: On a computer that is configured to boot to multiple operating
    systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.

  2. Use the
    arrow keys to select Repair your Computer in the Advanced Boot Options
    area, and then press Enter. If you are prompted, select the Windows 7
    installation to be repaired, and then click Next.



But I don't have any "Repair your Computer" option or anything like it. All I have is:



Safe Mode


Safe Mode with Networking


Safe Mode with Command Prompt


Enable Boot Logging


Enable low resolution video (640x480)


Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)


Directory Services Restore Mode


Debugging Mode


Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure


Disable Driver Signature Enforcement


Start Windows Normally



I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (in the middle of installing SP1, but upon reboot my system is not bootable - keep getting C0000032 error in linked post). I cannot boot into Safe Mode in any of its forms, and for whatever reason, in the past I have never been able to get my system to boot from a USB key (tried multiple bootable images, formatted them in FAT and FAT32, but always just get a black screen with a blinking cursor).


All I have is the Windows 7 Ultimate disc I used for installation, but when I boot to it and try to run the repair option, it says that it cannot repair the version of Windows that is installed (perhaps because SP1 is installed?).


Is there any other way that I can get to the repair mode on Windows 7?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...