Thursday, November 15, 2018

installation - Cannot install windows. Compaq Presario CQ62

I bought a used Compaq Presario CQ62 for cheap, and went to install windows on it. I formatted the partition and went to install when I got this error....



Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017



I have used this disk before with no problems, but internet searching suggested I burn one at 2x speed because that helps for some reason... I'm burning one now, but my question is, why would I get this error, OTHER than the disc being bad? I'm pretty certain this one isn't as I have used it before...




(ok so the slowly burned cd (using imgburn) didn't work either so it's DEFINITELY not the disc)



Here is what I have tried to do:




  • I took one stick of ram out because internet searching also suggested that, but it didn't make a difference.


  • I ran memory and hard drive checks and they passed fine.


  • I reset the motherboard options to default





What could it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...