Sunday, November 25, 2018

crash - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION on Windows 8.1 only when I Restart the PC




I am getting the dreaded DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION on a newly setup Windows 8.1 rig. It uses a Gigabyte H87-HD3 Motherboard, i5 4570, 16GB RAM and has a Kingston 240GB SSD (no other h/w on the M/b). Logitech Wireless Keyboard K520 + mouse using unified USB receiver. The SSD is setup as SATA, AHCI is ON. UEFI is set to 'UEFI and Legacy'. I did not use the Intel drivers while setting up the SSD, I let Windows partition/format the Drive.



The System is stable otherwise but on almost all 'Restart' it freezes just after the Startup Screen comes up. Most of the times it crashes before password entry, occasionally it gets to password entry but freezes and crashes with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION soon after. If I power off and start, no issues.



Often I have seen that the network connection showing a yellow exclamation before crashing. I have tried updating the network drivers but no avail. (I am using on-board LAN no WIFI adapter in the system).



I have uploaded the Minidump files here. Any help with the crash analysis is greatly appreciated.


Answer



This issue was finally resolved by updating the BIOS and drivers via Gigabyte's App Center tool. I first updated the drivers, next, updated the BIOS (from version F5 to F6), rebooted and the BSOD stopped. Haven't got one in last 3 weeks, so I say we are good to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...