Thursday, November 15, 2018

windows 7 - HDD Bad sectors Regeneration


I've been trying for few days to figure this out and eventually I need some help. All suggestion gathered by the software are like 'get new hard drive'.
My 2nd HDD got some troubles runing normaly and the Dell tool (pc doctor or something) suggested me to check the hard drive - it had bad sectors. I rushed 'HDD Regenerator 2011' and my initial check showed 3 bad sectors (it never finished because it required to change the AHCI to IDE mode for this hard drive and this was not possible at the moment). My 2nd check using another option from the same tool (normal check and regenerate, the previous one was) showed 17 bad sectors, but it said it repaired them all



a proof for that was the S.M.A.R.T. data collected from the tool. Before the regeneration it was suggesting me to back my data quickly and now the status there is showing simply 'ok'



I ran again the Dell (pc doctor) tool to check the hard drive - waited 2-3 hours and it ended up with the same results


I uploaded the results here http://dwbc.hit.bg/


I am asking here for an advice. I know I have to eventually change this hard drive, but I have more urgent parts to change like my keyboard (half the num keys are not working) and get other stuff. Could this hard drive operate normally, is there any other software I can try without losing data ?


Answer



I wouldn't use that drive.


First of all, bad sectors aren't "fixed", they're only marked as "bad" by the filesystem to avoid access. Second, bad sectors (not always, but often) tend to multiply rather rapidly, depending on the failure reason. Once bad sectors are found, a drive will often become unusable quickly.


I suggest backing up, and replacing the drive as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...