Sunday, November 18, 2018

Windows 10 keyboard layout menu is contradicting itself


I used to cycle between three keyboard settings:



  • QWERTY

  • French AZERTY

  • Belgian AZERTY


I removed French AZERTY from the list, but since then, whenever I boot Windows I get contradicting information.


The keyboard layout popup screen (Win + Space) and the language bar (in the taskbar) both me I have the two AZERTYs available, but the language settings window tells me that I have the Belgian AZERTY and QWERTY (which is what I want):


enter image description here


The only way I can solve this is to remove the QWERTY entry, and then add it again. This adds the QWERTY option but it still doesn't remove the French AZERTY option:


enter image description here


This seems to fix the popup screen and the language bar (well, partially), but when I reboot I have to do it all over again.


How do I get Windows 10 to actually give me the keyboard layouts that I've configured, instead of some presumably cached version?




To pre-empt a possible comment, I only have one language (and thus keyboard layout list), this isn't a confusion with using the wrong group:


enter image description here


Answer



The link posted in a comment on the question led me to an acceptable (though not ideal) solution.



Method 2 : Preloaded



  1. Use regedit to navigate to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload.
    You will find there the list of keyboards that are preloaded at boot.

  2. Find the keyboard identifier among the list of
    Keyboard Identifiers

  3. Delete the key.



I had to perform this action for both HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT and HKEY_CURRENT_USER.


After that, the two expected keyboard layouts (QWERTY/Belgian AZERTY) were being shown on startup.


There are a few side effects though:



  • The Belgian AZERTY language is set to NL instead of EN, which is not what I want.

  • I have not found a way to make the Belgian AZERTY the default instead of QWERTY.


But this at least solves the core issue at hand. If anyone finds a solution that doesn't have these side effects, I'll happily give them the answer tick.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...