Sunday, November 18, 2018

How can I clone my Windows 7 hard drive to an SSD that previously had Windows 8 installed?


I recently bought a new SSD, and decided to create a fresh install of Windows 8 on it. I quickly decided that Windows 8 wasn't for me, so what I decided to do instead was simply clone my existing hard drive (with Windows 7 on it) to the SSD.


However I forgot about things like the MBR and whatnot. So when I try to boot from the SSD, it gives me an error, because it seems to think it's Windows 8, even though it's really a clone of my hard drive with Windows 7 now. I'm guessing this is because the MBR wasn't updated or something to that effect.


My question is, how do I fix it so I can go ahead and boot Windows 7 from my SSD? I don't mind if the solution involves cloning the original hard drive again, as all of that data is still there on the hard drive.


Answer



I was able to solve this problem by booting from the Windows 7 DVD, going to command prompt, and doing bootrec /rebuildbcd.


I followed these steps to solve the issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...