Sunday, November 11, 2018

Suddenly unsupported SD card on Android

I'm having troubles with a 32 Go Transcend micro SD card (on Samsung Galaxy A5 2016, Android 7.0). When my phone starts, it displays the following notification:


Unsupported SD card
This device doesn't support this SD card. Tap to set up in a supported format.

If I click the notification, it asks me to format the SD card, which I obviously don't want to do.


I tried many things, unsuccessfully:



  • shut down the phone, remove the card, put it back and restart the phone

  • connect the phone to a computer with a USB cable -> doesn't show the SD card, only the phone internal storage

  • remove the card and connect it to a computer using a micro-SD/SD adapter (on two computers, one running Windows 7 and the other running Ubuntu 16.04) -> doesn't show the SD card. I tried with another micro-SD card on both computers to check that the adapter and the SD card reader are OK and it worked.

  • wipe the connectors


So I have no way to access my data.


I don't know if it's relevant, I was running NewPipe when that happened. I just watched a video, and then I couldn't play another one. Then I tried to Samsung Music. I could see the titles but the tracks won't play. So I restarted my phone and saw the error message for the first time.


I'm now running out of ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...