Wednesday, November 7, 2018

nvidia geforce - Is there a way to run CUDA applications with the CUDA device being a secondary adapter?

I've been trying to run a CUDA program on a remote computer which has Windows 7 installed. The GPU is GeForce GTX 480. One of the problems I've been facing is that, the computer has two adapters,
1) Standard VGA Adapter
2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480



Even though this shows in the device manager. The desktop uses the standard VGA Adapter. I'm assuming this is because the Standard VGA is the primary adapter. Also the device manager shows that the monitor is connected to the standard VGA Adapter. In this scenario if i try to run any CUDA application it fails to recognise a CUDA capable device.



Is it necessary for the NVIDIA adapter to be the primary one? Or is there any way to use CUDA when the graphics card is a secondary adapter. I've seen a few posts in the NVIDIA forums on this before, one suggests using another low cost NVIDIA card as the primary adapter, but that is currently not an option. I couldn't find any other solutions.




Thanks



I tried running the deviceQuery test from the NVIDIA GPU Computing Samples. This was the result i obtained



CUDA Device Query (Runtime API) version (CUDART static linking)
cudaGetDeviceCount FAILED CUDA Driver and Runtime version may be mismatched
FAILED



The driver version I'm using is 263.06. The CUDA version is 3.2




I ran the same test on my desktop which also has windows 7 and a GeForce GTX 465. The CUDA toolkit version is 3.2. The driver version was the same and the test passed, although it failed with an older driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...