Friday, November 16, 2018

Issues installing Kali Linux alongside Windows 8

I am running Windows 8 64-bit with an i3-3230m with 750GB HDD and 8GB RAM.



I installed Kali onto a 40GB unallocated partition.
(Note: I had to change to Legacy mode in BIOS or my computer would not be able to recognize and boot from the disc.)



FIRST ISSUE: After completing installation and rebooting my computer, GRUB would not show so I could only boot into Windows.

I attempted to fix this by booting again from the Live CD (computer is still in Legacy mode) and using boot-repair.



(Note: I encountered many issues while trying to run boot-repair but I found fixes for all of them so I am not sure if including them will be of importance.)



But after boot-repair, GRUB would still not show, even though boot-repair said the repair was successful.
I did boot-repair multiple times but still no difference.
I even deleted the Kali partition and reinstalled it, but GRUB still didn't show.



The last boot-repair gave the message that if problems persisted, I should provide this link as reference.
http://paste.ubuntu.com/6979965/




NEXT ISSUE: Now when I turn on my computer, it gives me this message with a blue screen for Windows:



The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Error code:0xc000000f


I created my Windows 8 installation media but when I try to refresh the PC through troubleshoot, it says my drive is locked.




What has happened and what can I do to fix this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...