Sunday, November 18, 2018

Asus P8H67-V AHCI Driver issues when installing Windows

I'm trying to install Windows as a dual-boot on an Asus P8H67-V (Socket 1155) PC running Elementary OS (Debian). 
Here's my configuration:



  • Intel Core I5-2500K

  • Samsung 840 Pro SSD

    • This previously had Windows 7 x64 installed.

    • I've cleaned it; now I'm trying to install Windows on it from scratch.


  • Samsung 850 Evo SSD

    • This is where I have Elementary OS installed.


  • Multiple WD Red (≥ 2 TB)

  • 2 × Zotac GeForce GTX 660

  • BIOS set to AHCI for boot

    • I consider switching back to IDE in BIOS not to be an option.



I'm trying to install Windows by booting from the following devices:



  • External DVD/BR Drive using a verified Win7_x64 Disc
    (this has worked on other machines)

  • Samsung USB Stick (128 GB, 8 GB Partition for Win10_x64)


I get this error message:


Load Driver

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.


Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step


This message appeared for Windows 10 and Windows 7.


The installers boot like a charm, as does Elementary OS.


I have tried:



  • Using both a USB 3 port and a USB 2 port. No success over here.

  • Somehow I was able to boot both devices in IDE Mode –
    still it wouldn't let me install... Same message.


  • Assuming that it has something to do with AHCI instead of IDE in SATA Mode inside BIOS Configuration, I downloaded AHCI Drivers from Intel (chipset manufacturer) and ASUS (motherboard manufacturer) but none of them worked. The drivers were shown as applicable for the hardware (Windows 10 Setup), but I was still not able to continue the setup process.



Question:



  • Is there a possibility to determine which exact driver is missing? The error message is not what I would call conclusive as it does not really state more than "It's not working, I don't know why."


  • Is there something I missed? Any other drivers to try? Any preparation for the Samsung 840 needed I missed?


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...