Thursday, February 23, 2017

Windows Update not logging updates/not seeing system updates

So coming into work today, I found that my Windows 10 machine had rebooted itself, force-closing several applications and losing data, which seems like insane default behavior, and I thought to myself "Maybe this was a critical security update at least?", so I went to "View installed update history"



The last update it displays was 1/14/2018. It is now 1/30/2018, and I know an update was installed last night. Visual Studio 2015 told me that's why it was force-closed (and it at least, was able to recover the data).



Does anyone know why updates are not being logged or logged updates are not being displayed?



Edit




Based on comments, I've reviewed the event log and it appears the problem MAY be related to crashes that MAY be caused by the updates. What I see is 3 crashes since 1/14/18, all occurring within 2 minutes of "successful" updates of components like "Windows Store" or "Paint". Windows Defender Definition updates are occurring regularly and successfully with no indications of problems, I should note. (They do tend to occur immediately AFTER crashes, however). Further, I have the startup message from VS 2015 telling me it was shut down by an update, when only one shutdown occurred last night--the one caused by a crash. I do not see any explicit failures logged by Windows Update. (And all updates logged as starting in the event log are logged as finished successfully there.)



The "Setup" Log in Event Viewer indicates the last successful install as occurring on 1/14, with KB4043961 marked as superseded on 1/16.



The windows updates logged in the "System" log since 1/14 are all "Windows Store", or Defender updates, application updates "Paint", "Advertising", "mscommunication". I don't see any normal-looking OS updates.



Further, I've opened up the most recent memory dump in windbg. Not enlightening, for me at least. The last crash was caused by a stack overflow in csrss.exe. Beyond that, the stack trace isn't clear enough for me at least to determine any clear cause.



The Windows Update troubleshooters repeatedly indicate I have pending updates, which Windows Update itself is apparently not seeing.




If this is enough information for anyone else to pinpoint or guess at the problem, I'd love to hear it.



Since this problem seems increasingly bizarre and specific to my machine, it's probably worth mentioning it's a relatively fresh and unmodified Win 10 install. VS 2015, VS 2017, Windows SDK, and WSL (bash), and TeamViewer are the only installs of any note. I have not edited any Windows files from within WSL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...