Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Using student disk to upgrade to Windows 8.1

I live in New Zealand, where most peoples internet is terrible. In order for me to upgrade all of my computers to Windows 8.1 I would need to download 11.5GB of files, the same files mind you.




However, I am a university student and as such have access to Microsoft Dreamspark. I downloaded the ISO from Dreamspark prior to the official release. My computers all use legitimately purchased Keys (not my student key) with Media Center enabled. I tried to upgrade to Windows 8.1 via the student ISO, but got a message stating that "The key doesn't work with this version of windows". What is the best option here?



Also, why is the update so big, it seems to be the same size of the FULL Windows 8 ISO. Seeing as most will only ever update via the Windows Store, it makes more sense to me to just include an incremental update. Is there a deeper problem here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...