Saturday, February 11, 2017

ubuntu - Windows 10 USB installer cannot boot

I want to install windows 10 on my Ubuntu machine, of which I recently installed. I downloaded and burned the windows 10 iso from microsoft's website onto a 16gb usb stick.


When I tried to boot from it from my motherboard setting, it would blackscreen for a second and then boot into Ubuntu. I have also tried starting it directly from my boot menu, same problem. The option shows up without a "UEFI:" before the usb stick name.


Burned iso onto usb stick first with Etcher, didn't work. Thinking it was the usb stick, I burned it onto an 8gb stick that returned the same error. I re-downloaded the iso and repeated the above mentioned steps. I also tried burning it with dd, but that also returned the same problem.


The usb stick does not boot on any machine I tried it on, 2 others running Ubuntu and Mint respectively.


My motherboard, a MSI 970 GAMING is set to uefi+legacy boot mode. I have had problems with the line in the past, resulting in getting another refurbished model, the one I use now.


I have also done a MEMTEST, memory is OK.


What am I doing wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...