Friday, February 17, 2017

macos - Can you recover from a backup with bad blocks?

The hard drive in my Macbook recently gave up while using it on the plane (dual prop, lots of vibration unfortunately). I have a backup of its contents from a few weeks ago, but there are files that aren't included in it that I would like to recover.


As it stands right now, I have it plugged to my macbook by USB. Snow leopard recognizes it, but can't mount it. Therefore, tools like Diskwarrior and Techtools do not work. I started doing a clone of it with Data Rescue 3, but after 7 hours of activity (20% through the drive), it has copied 130 GB of the drive but reports all of the data as "bad blocks". My question is this:



  • Is any data recoverable if the clone is completely composed of bad blocks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...