Monday, February 20, 2017

partitioning - Migrating one partition to SSD in a way that allows booting?

I've got a Windows Installation, with a partition table that looks like this:


 Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 D DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
Volume 1 E DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
Volume 2 Recovery NTFS Partition 300 MB Healthy
Volume 3 C NTFS Partition 51 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 4 H NTFS Partition 2742 GB Healthy Pagefile
Volume 5 NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy
Volume 6 FAT32 Partition 99 MB Healthy System

I'd like to migrate Windows to a SSD, but the trick is that H: contains all of my files, so I only need to migrate the 50GB C:.


I've tried copying C: to the partition using GParted on an Ubuntu Live CD, and while the files copy just fine, I can't boot from the drive.


I can't clone the whole drive, since it's 3TB and the SSD is only 240GB. So, how can I clone just the Windows partition in a way that preserves the Windows Boot Manager, MBR, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...