Friday, February 17, 2017

'My Computer' keyboard shortcut without Windows key


Is there a way to launch My Computer from the keyboard when the keyboard does not have a Windows key?


Remapping keys etc. or registry tweaks will not be useful in my scenario as I have to do this on lots of computers. I'm renaming computers after imaging, using an image that has had the My Computer icon removed.


Answer



Short answer: There isn't one.


Possible workarounds:



  • Get a keyboard with a Windows key to use for the task.

  • Use a mouse for the task.

  • Recreate the master image with a desktop shortcut to a batch file that runs explorer.exe /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} (more info here and here) and then deletes the shortcut, and then deletes itself (the batch file). You can then assign a preferred shortcut key to the shortcut to launch it. One that doesn't depend on the Win key.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...