Monday, February 27, 2017

mac - How to recover from Insert Key when using Apple Remote Desktop

If I happen to press the Insert key when connected to a remote Mac from another Mac via Apple Remote Desktop, I loose the ability to send further keystrokes to the remote computer.


Whilst in this 'mode':



  • the remote computer stops responding to any keyboard input (but mouse input works as normal)

  • the mouse cursor changes to a question mark when hovering over things like text fields (within programs on the remote host).

  • typing continues to work as normal within programs on the local machine (just not the via the remote session).

  • closing and reconnecting to the remote host does not resolve the problem.


I happen to be using a non-Apple branded, but otherwise fairly standard usb keyboard (with a Windows key).


The only way I've found to recover from this is to use the mouse to log the remote user out of the remote computer, then log back in.


What's going on here? Can I resolve the problem without having to log out? What can I do to prevent entering this 'mode' in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...