Monday, February 20, 2017

windows 7 - Clone Linux/Win7 dual-boot to smaller hard drive?


I have a Linux Mint / Windows 7 dual boot setup that is on a big hard drive that I'd like to use for something else. I have a smaller hard drive that will fit everything with room to spare.


Currently the smaller hard drive is connected via external usb to the laptop.


Is there a way to clone the entire drive, partitions and all, to the smaller drive so I can just swap them and get back up and running with no fuss (ie. GRUB)?


Answer



1-Clone linux partitions first with clonezilla, if still bigger then your hard drive check the option "-icds" :



2-resize it with gparted to make space to win 7.


4-clone win 7 partition.


3-if you get boot problems do update to grub :
How to Repair, Restore, or Reinstall Grub 2


ps:
sorry i can't write better than this :/ .


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...