Monday, February 20, 2017

boot - Windows 8.1 upgrade blew out other OSes on GPT disks?

I was multibooting an EFI laptop. The laptop was using GPTs, was using SecureBoot, and it had Windows 8.0, Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian on it.



I updated the laptop to Windows 8.1 through the free App Store update because I could not get security updates and bug fixes for Windows 8.0 and IE 10.



Now, I can no longer access any of the other operating systems. It appears Windows 8.1 blew out the other GPTs during its upgrade, and not just its own GPT. I don't see any other disks under Disk Management; and the EFI's boot screen (not the Windows Boot Menu) does not list any other operating systems.



I have two questions:





  • What happened to the other GPTs and Operating Systems?

  • Is there anyway to undo what this plague known as Windows 8.x has done?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...