Saturday, February 25, 2017

freeze - Windows 7 freezing randomly


I have a dual boot under W7 x86 and W7 x64. Both are freezing randomly. sometimes the HDD led is fully on. Waiting only brings sometimes a black screen. here is when It freezes



  • Playing a game, mostly AC

  • Running chrome sometimes freeze while loading a page

  • Seems it is rarer in 32 bit

  • Sometimes, when I try to stop the screensaver, it is not responding (keyboard + mouse) which let me think that it froze while sleeping since I have to hard reboot since #3. Note that CD ROM reader is working.


Here is my config :



GPU: Nvidia GT 610
PSU: Antec EA-430 Green
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 64 5000+ @2.6GHz
RAM: 8 Gigs Kingston



Also, the ACPI is s1 &s3.
Finally, it seems that freezes came by session : I get a freeze after a long time and then I reboot, then I can get several freezes quickly. It makes me think it's b/c of overheating but I ran a GPU stress test and it get past 100 °C w/o freezing. Besides, according the following charts, it doesn't get past 90 - 95° C.


Here is a chart of my log while playing until it freeze (open in a new tab to enlarge):


chart


A second one uring an other session of gaming:. I usually overclock my GPU from 810 MHz to 830 MHz but this time:


chart 2


I ran a GPU stress test and it is boiling (get past 100° C) without any freeze. Stop there to avoid burning out my GPU


UPDATE #3


I removed the latest version of the nForce drivers into a lower one, it seems freezes in game are rarer.( I got one after)


So,



  • What can I try to solve the freezes ?

  • Is it worth upgrading my config? please use arguments


UPDATE #4


It froze while poking around in the BIOS.


I must also precise that I don't have any inverter I had one but it was dead since some times - perhaps the freezes started just after. Anyway, I bought one just now. We'll see.


UPDATE #5


I manually tested my Power Supply, it displayed 12.36 for +12V, and didn't seemed to change anything. However it seems I applied too much thermal paste on my CPU (grey one).


UPDATE #6


I cleaned the cpu and the paste but i stil got freezes...


Answer



Man, I had a similar problem some time ago, and it was driving me crazy!
So, that's what solved my problem: change the Memories of slot.

I started to think what changes I did until this problem came annoy me, and then I realize that I had bought a new FAN for my FX-8350 and I've needed to change the memories of slot because of the size of the FAN, then I turned on the PC and performed a stress test of Memory, at some point the Windows Freezes, so that were the problem.
I changed the FAN and put the memories back on the original slots, then the problem disappeared!

Hope this help! :)


Edit: This could also be a motherboard slot problem or a memory problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...