Friday, February 24, 2017

windows 10 - Keyboard typing random letters


I am running Windows 10 build 18945 and random applications (most of them) are getting typed in random letters. I have found many things saying check your input language but i only have one that is English (US).


And the random letter a key will type is not always the same. I can hold down 'a' for instance and it'll type a series of numbers and letters. So it is not consistent


Example, copy and pasted holding down 'a'


d9wmw9dmdkdjw9wmwjw9woekwoiwmwekwnd

One of the only applications that correctly recognizes the input is Firefox


Pretty sure it isn't a hardware issue, because it is not in all applications.


This is an integrated keyboard in the Lenovo ThinkPad T430s


It also seems to be intermittent


EDIT If i remember right, this started around disabling credential and device guard (I can't use any emulator/virtualization with them on because the virtualization is then exclsuively used by Hyper-V, and i needed to run Intel HAXM)


Answer



I was having this exact problem. I work IT and found it rather annoying after performing a ton of troubleshooting steps from changing keyboards to trying to configure Windows settings. It was also happening on both my laptops.


I then came across an article from another IT person who said it was his Kaspersky/Zone Alarm anti-keylogger. Which is a program I don't use, though I do use Sophos which has a similar function. He was able to update Zone Alarm and it worked. I uninstalled Sophos and watched as the list of components were removed. As soon as the keylogger was removed it started to work again. Check your anti-virus! I will be reaching out to Sophos for an answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...