Tuesday, February 14, 2017

cpu usage - IPHLPSVC High CPU in Windows 8 x64

I was experiencing consistent high CPU usage in Windows 8 Pro x64. The cause was svchost running at a constant 25% CPU, even at idle. I checked the services that the svchost was running, and toggled them on/off until I found the cause.


It turns out one service, IPHLPSVC (IP Helper), was responsible for all the CPU usage. Once I stopped the service, the CPU dropped down to 0-1% at idle.


I did some research and it seems like IPHLPSV is for transition to IPv6. I'm still on IPv4 and don't experience any issues with the task stopped. Should I just disable the task? Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing the issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...