Wednesday, February 15, 2017

I need a way to shrink C: and keep the new partition in case I had to reinstall Windows without merging them?

I have just bought HP laptop with Windows 7 (32 bit). It has 500 GB hard drive with three partitions: small hidden system partition, 12 GiB HP recovery partition, and 450 GiB C: boot partition.


I have split this large C: partition into two partitions, Although Windows built-in Disk Management utility has an option to shrink the bootable partition, it only allows me to shrink it roughly by half, even though only 20 GiB on the partition is used.
after that I got system failure which had me to reinstall Windows 7 using the recovery partition, I discovered that it merged the new partition (created earlier using the built-in Disk Management utility) with the c to become one partition again.
So, is there any way to shrink C: bootable partition and preserve the new partition in case I had to reinstall Windows some other time without merging them?
thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...