Wednesday, February 15, 2017

WIndows Update is blocked by already cancelled upgrade to Windows 10

This is travesty! I cannot get rid of this bloody "Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready". I have Windows 7 64bit Home Premium installed.


I reserved a free upgrade to Windows 10 a couple of weeks (or even months now) ago. I was waiting to the stage when it happened that the Windows Update donwloaded required files and was ready to begin. I was almost ready to begin but in the last minute I realised there might be complications with software I've got. Therefore I decided to cancel my reservation.


Even after cancelling, windows upgrade has not stopped harassing me to restart my computer. After restarting, nothing happens. Windows update still asks to restart. Also, I used to have this annoying advert to reserv Windows 10 which I manage to get rid of.


I have visitted a couple of websites and realised there are massive no of people having the same issue.


I tried the following.


Visited this website: How to get rid of the 'Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready' lock and manage to get rid of GWX process. Apparently, unstalling two updates was required: KB2952664 (likely on Win7 systems) and KB 2976978 (likely on Win 8.1) - GWX, and KB3035583 Windows 10 update itself. It did not help. So I was digging further. I found another website: Stop Windows 10 upgrade install after files already dowloaded and uninstalled a couple of other patches such as:


KB3035583 - Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2976978 - Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
KB3021917 - Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3044374 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10
KB2990214 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows

Another answer suggests to chnage one of the registery keys:


HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SOFTWARE> Microsoft> Windows> CurrentVersion> WindowsUpdate> OSUpgrade
Look for the KEY : AllowOSUpgrade then change to 0

I have have littlke knowledge on what patches correspond to. Unfortunately, having done all this did not help. I still have got Windows Update nagging me to restart the system. I found very long post here: “Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready” How to cancel it?. There's a very long answer. I tried to follow the instructions but somehwere in the middle, I did not find provided registery HKEYs but I have also uninstalled a bunch of other patches:


KB3022345 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3068708 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 - Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
KB3080149 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB2990214 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3012973 - << did not found anything on that >>
KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2976978 - Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8

Unfortunately, as soon as I switched Windows Update, the message came back.


I feel completely lost. I have no idea what to do. I will be really grateful if someone could provide some working solution to this!


Thanks


PS> The last desparate move will be simply installing the system from DVD. I could do it but first I would like to know if I am going to exoerience the same problems after installing a fresh copy of the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...