Saturday, April 20, 2019

Windows failed to start 0xc000000f


I recently bought a Kingston 120GB SSD and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on it.
I also have a secondary 500GB HDD: Western Digital WD5000AADS.


When I try to boot, it freezes and shows the following message:



Windows failed to start. \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000000f An error
ocurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.



I've tried most of the solutions I could find:



  1. Using the /fixmbr and /fixboot commands.

  2. Using /bcdboot D:\Windows.


I can boot normally if I insert the Windows Installation disc, select to boot from it and skip the button press.


The SSD is C: and the HD is F:. However, on the Repair System menu, the Local Disk (SSD) appears as D: and the HD as C:.


Also, there was a SSD partition named D:, which was active, but I deallocated it and set C: as active, because there was a missing bootmgr problem previously.


Computer Management screenshot:
enter image description here


UPDATE: I disconnected the HDD and ran the Repair System again. It automatically detected the error and repaired the boot data.
I reconnected the HDD after that and now everything is fine. Thanks.


Answer



Sounds like your HDD is in the boot order before the SSD.


In your BIOS ensure that the SSD is ahead of the optical drive and the HDD, in the boot order.


If the item in the boot order list is "Hard drive" or something generic like that, look for a separate (Hard) Drive order section and ensure the SSD is ahead of the HDD in there as well.


Also, you may want to disconnect the HDD from the system completely, boot from your Windows install disk, and do a repair.


Once that's done and you can boot into Windows, stick the HDD back in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...