Wednesday, April 17, 2019

memory - Does my system support 1600mhz ram speed?

I'm looking into upgrading my PC, but I'm a bit confused about ram speeds. This is my current setup.



  • Motherboard: Asus p6x58d premium

  • CPU: Intel Bloomfield i7 930 DDR3

  • RAM: Corsair CM3x2G1600C9 (3 x 2GB, in triple-channel 3/6 slots)


The issue is that there seems to be conflicting information about what ram speeds my current board supports. The Asus website says up to 1600 non-O.C.. However, the specifications section of the manual says up to 1333 non-O.C.. I've seen other sites that claim up to 1600 as well, but I'm not sure.


I went into my BIOS and turned my ram speed up from 1066 to 1333, but when I tried selecting 1600 a warning dialog popped up mentioning something about keeping the current voltage setting. Also, the setting description mentioned that only 1066 and 800 ram speed would work on a "locked" cpu. My CPU seems to be working fine at 1333 so far, but I really have no clue if my CPU is locked or not!


Is there a good way of telling the what ram speed that my PC supports?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...