Friday, April 12, 2019

linux - Operating System Agnostic Symlink/Alias/Shortcut

I have a folder that I sync with online services such as Dropbox, that I sync to other computers with different operating systems. Part of my file/folder organization in this folder uses symlinks/aliases (my home computer is a Mac). When it syncs the folder to a Windows computer, unfortunately symlinks and aliases are not recognized, but shortcuts are.


Is there a way to create a symlink/shortcut once on a Mac or Windows with cross-platform compatibility? Otherwise I'll have to create two links per file, once for Mac/Linux and one for Windows.


NOTE: The purpose of this folder, because I know someone will ask, is to organize and store a lot of files in a hierarchy of folders. Occasionally, a file or folder seems to fit into two or more places, hence the symlink. This is a very common practice on Mac/Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...