Monday, April 15, 2019

Windows 7 SP1 login screen freeze

When login screen appears, both mouse and keyboard aren't working.



I do shutdown via powerbutton, Windows 7 notices that and changes screen to 'Shutting down' spinner. Once rebooted, freezes once again.



However, if I don't allow 'clean' shutdown, by keep pressing power, on next boot up all works -- I can login and every app seems fine.



Only events of 'Error' type I see in Event log are:





  1. Application subnode: Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

  2. System subnode: SAM failed to start the TCP/IP or SPX/IPX listening thread.



Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H, BIOS ver F4. As I've said, once logged in, everything works fine, so it's not a processor or RAM, or video, or hard drive.



What could it be?







UPDATE Safe mode does not help after clean shutdown: login screen appears at lower resolution, but input devices still not working. Interestingly, even screen suspension works -- I've left system for ~10 min and screen gone to sleep (and woke up after I poked power button).



Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...