Tuesday, April 9, 2019

network shares - Verified file copy on Windows, for files on a long path UNC?

This is a problem which has a thousand posts across the internet but I can't find answers that are specifically suited for GUI + verified move/copy, so it doesn't look like a duplicate question.


I want to use a GUI based verified move/copy file manager. If it wasn't for long paths and verification, this would be easy - many file managers allow hash verified file move/copy, and many file managers allow UNC and attempt to work around long path issues. My primary setup for this is Windows 8.1+FreeBSD 11 +Samba 4.6.


The difficulty is that I haven't found a way to do this that is reliable. Even my go-to long filename managers with verification such as XYPlorer and FasyCopy fall over on long paths where I wouldn't have expected it.


So I'm looking for approaches that ideally avoid the Windows API entirely except for local files, so that I can manage the remote files without worrying about path length. But here again its difficult: GUI based SCP (WinSCP, Filezilla) would be fine, except that these don't formally do hash verification of the source and target after move/copy, and FISH which might help move the file activity to the server, doesn't have a full Windows client.


The functionality I'm after is move/copy/rename within a share, between shares on a single machine, between shares on different machines, and between Windows and a share, but in each case avoiding the Windows APIs for remote file access if they can't properly handle long paths.


The other benefit I'm looking for is to execute server-side file activity directly on the server and off the network, again verified where data is physically written or moved.


Unfortunately I've found that even programs that state they handle long paths don't seem to do it well. When I do file move/copy using them, it helps a bit but I often get a bunch of errors that suggest they're still having problems with handling long paths in practice, and I don't want to have to constantly doubt my data copy/move integrity or move things to temp locations just to manipulate them when the remote store doesn't actually have long path issues with it.


I'm looking for a way to knock this on the head, but what techniques might help? I don't want to reduce file paths or use CLI in this case (which wouldn't be easy anyhow here), using drive letter mapping doesn't seem to help much or would need too many letters, using "\\?\" would help if the issue was with local not remote files as the remote ones are already UNC, SCP doesn't usually include explicit verification, especially in GUI file managers......


I haven't tried setting up X Windows so I'm working in GUI directly on the server when its a server file, but this wouldn't help for Windows to/from remote. I also haven't looked at file managers that allow copy extensions - for example those that allow extra copy/move methods (such as ADB or shell command equivalents) to be added as a script or similar. Beyond that I'm out of ideas.


What options might I have overlooked?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...