Saturday, April 20, 2019

file permissions - Strange Windows Errors


I run Windows 7 and I've been getting strange errors from different applications, for example attempting to uninstall VMware Workstation causes the following error:


"Error in the lua script: [string "-------------------------------------------..."]:785: attempt to call global 'ReadRegistry' (a nil value)"

When I attempt to run Process Explorer (which has always worked perfectly) I get the error "Unable to extract 64-bit image. Run Process Explorer from a writeable directory." even though I've tried it in multiple directories I have write permissions to. Only when I launch it as an Administrator will it run correctly.


I believe it may be due to the environment variables as I added an extra path to my "path" variable to allow me to execute easily in cmd from any folder but I've since not only removed it but performed a System Restore and I'm still getting the same errors.


Here's the PATH variable for the system:


C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Pages\v1.0\;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\GnuPG\pub;C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap

and here's the user TEMP variable:


C:\Users\Arron\AppData\Local\Temp

Are these errors caused by my editing of the environment variables or is there another problem?


EDIT: I think I've found the problem, I used Process Monitor to see what was going on and it appears that nothing can write to my Local Temp folder. Here is the result when it's run as a normal user:


enter image description here


But when run as admin it succeeds:


enter image description here


The main problem is I can't see anything wrong with the permissions of my temp folder, it seems that Everyone has read and write access:


enter image description here


I've also got the full Process Monitor logs for both launching as a user and admin if they would help at all.


Answer



I seem to have found the solution, somehow the permissions for my Temp folder were changed so I no longer had full control. Now that I've added myself back as having full control I'm no longer having the errors from Process Explorer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...