Wednesday, April 10, 2019

cpu usage - How do I diagnose CPU trashing in Windows 10

I'm running 64 bit Windows 10.0.14393 on a Dell XPS 13 (8GB RAM, quad i7-5600U 2.6GHz). Recently I have noticed that the fan is constantly on and the CPU is running between 60% and 100%. The task manager reports that "Service Host" is perminantly taking most of the CPU:


Task Manager screenshot showing Service Host


I have tried a number of things to remedy this CPU usage:



  • Leaving the laptop running for a few days

  • Turning off bitlocker

  • Turning off Cortana
    (here)

  • RegEdit for time broker (here)


These did not work and they feel worryingly random.


What tools and techniques should I use to diagnose which hosted service within Service Host is causing the prolonged high CPU utilization?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...